Saturday, April 7, 2012

Guest Entry by Dad


Kimball is fun and crazy. He is happy 95% of the time and the remaining 5% is usually due to needing a nap, or being confined to some sort of buckles or constraints. The minute the kid is outside he is instantly happy and runs everywhere. Yesterday while we were at the BYU Spring Scrimmage, he would run all over the stadium which is concrete, falling every minute or so, skin his knees but pick himself back up and keep going. He has endless energy but sleeps pretty hard every night. He is very smart and is learning what more words mean and although he is not able to easily communicate with words yet, he know what you are saying and asking him to do.

He is usually very polite and is willing to give you what you ask him for. I don't think he'll ever be bullied, he has the confidence of a prince, and thinks he owns the place (no matter where he is). A lot to learn but think he will go far in life. I love it when we are praying or talking about Jesus. He usually becomes very quite and stops and listens.

One of the more fun things Nanci and I like to do is when we are downstairs in our living or family room we began to recite one of his books. We just start from the beginning and quote it like we are reading it to him. He looks around and realizing the book is probably upstairs in his bedroom bookshelf, he'll take of on quest to find it. He then usually wanders down a few minutes later having carefully looked on the binding of each of his books to find the right one. He always gets it right and triumphantly comes back down with the book in hand for us to read to him.

Tonight I began reciting "We're going on a bear hunt" but after a 30 seconds or so of him pausing on the stairs deciding if he wanted to go all the way up I then tried "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star". He shot off upstairs to his room. I assumed he would bring down "Twinkle Twinkle". To my surprise he returned with "Bear Hunt". I didn't think much of it and thought perhaps he was more excited for the bear hunt book. We ready it a few times and talked in the family for a while longer. When I went back upstairs a while later I noticed "Twinkle Twinkle" on the stairs about the 3rd or 4th step from the top. I realized that he remembered both books, found them on his shelf and attempted to bring them downstairs for us to read. After a few steps he realized he would not be able to make it with both and just brought down one. I think he is brilliant and has an incredible memory!

2 comments:

  1. Phil! Welcome to the blogging world! And hi Nanci! I just read through the last three posts on your blog and oh, I loved the stories about Kimball. I felt like I got to know your little guy better. The story about him going upstairs and getting the book you were reciting was so cool! Nanci, thanks for the comment you left on my blog this week. Doing a race in the future with you would be so awesome. Maybe we could pick one out and both train and meet up to run it together. The next time I plan to go to Utah is December and I might go again in March when my brother comes home from his mission. Next summer, we'll be moving and hopefully going on a fun cruise with our other graduating friends so I don't know if we'll get to Utah then. :)

    Sorry I couldn't call the other day. How about Sunday afternoon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun to read a post by you Phil. I agree Kimball is very smart, he also has your energy level...but you have Nanci to chase him all day and she likes to run...good thing!

    ReplyDelete